Happiness is a vast idea that we get confused about it. On the other hand, unhappiness is the idea that catches us from anywhere and we certainly know that it came. But, why so? Because unhappiness has greater power over us when we don’t know how to be happy in every circumstance. Habits of unhappy people also affect people around them. A study called Terman study from Stanford University says that “being around unhappy people is linked to poorer health and a shorter life span.” What is happiness? There is no specific definition of happiness as long as you find yourself happy in little moments. Happiness surrounds you while you find joy in whatever you do. Unhappiness is also related to your mental situation, along with the circumstances you deal with. Just like happy people, unhappy people also have some common habits. Take a look.
10 Common habits of unhappy people
It is a real tough job to stay being surrounded by unhappy people as it can drag you down too. Just as some habits determine happiness, unhappiness is also determined by some habits that are common in every unhappy people. You might think, other people or circumstances make you unhappy, but sometimes, habits can be the root cause of unhappiness. Figure out if you have any of the following habits.
1. They are always negative: Unhappy people have the habit of finding negative things in every situation. They never think of positive outcomes. Negativity is the foundation of their minds and beliefs. They think negative; they talk negatively; they behave negatively. So, it is very tough for them to be happy. Look at yourself, how do you react? Are you always thinking of negative thoughts or outcomes? If you are really negative, happiness is very far from you. So, how to break it? The easiest solution is being conscious when you are thinking negative thoughts. Stop right there and write down those thoughts. And finally, reverse those thoughts. Start seeing the positive sides of your thoughts.
2. They always complain: Not happy with anything at all. Unhappy people are always complaining about almost everything. They have no idea that complaining won’t bring anything. It’s natural to complain once or twice if you like but always not the best thing to do. We complain to relieve our stress. Unhappy people complain to drag others into their stress. They don’t know how to let go. Unhappy ones like to stretch depressing matters longer and bring all around them into the issue to make the situation even worse. They analyze negative situations in every possible way and make those their prime concern. How to get rid of it? Simply focus on the positive side and let go of the bad things once it is gone.
3. Victim mentality: One of the worst habits of unhappy people is being the victim. They think that everyone around them is trying to harm them. Every misfortune is brought to them by someone else. They never think of their actions. It’s their habit to be the victim and finding peace in that. What is to do in such a situation? If you think you are a victim, pay attention to your thoughts and actions. If you do wrong, you suffer. People around you don’t always bring bad things to you; you are the maker of your fortune. Find out the thoughts that trigger your victim mentality and get rid of those. Look around, and you will find out people who are suffering more than you.
4. They wait for the future: Without making the present beautiful, you can never have a beautiful future. Unhappy people are unaware of the importance of the present. They are always thinking of the future, which is yet to come or might not come. What is the future? If you work right in the present moment, you are making your future amazing. Unhappy people seem to label the present moment as bad and wait for good times to come. Not only that, unhappy people also think of negative thoughts that can happen in the future. How things can go wrong at work, how people can react in a bad way and so on. Overcoming this habit is not tough. You just have to take deep breaths and think of your situation right now. Decide what is best for you and what you can do to make your situation better. Thinking of the future is great when you make your present moment right. It doesn’t have to be perfect, it needs to be right.
5. Jealousy: Unhappy people are jealous of others as they can’t see anyone happy. The happiness of others makes them feel deprived and depressed. They think negative, act negative and expect others to stay in a bad situation. When you are a negative person, you can’t think in the right way. You become sad about watching others happy. Unhappy people become envious of others’ achievement. They can’t cope with the celebration. They think others don’t deserve the things they are getting. If you are jealous of others, then think that this habit only hurts you. It doesn’t really make a difference if you are envious of others who are happy. You think of it, you suffer. So to make things easier for you, you have to learn to appreciate others for their works.
6. Having no control: Unhappy people believe that they have no control over their luck or situation. But it is not true. You get what you think of, you see what you project. If you have misfortunes, you brought that. It’s not all about controlling, it’s about making things run in the right way. Some situations go beyond our control because of our doings. Concentrate on the aspects where you have your full control, think of how you can make any situation better. Learn from the people who inspire you. Focus on what you are capable of doing. Rather than controlling others’ lives, make yours amazing.
7. Holding grudges: It’s true that sometimes people can make you unhappy. But that doesn’t mean you have to hold on to those moments or feelings. Unhappy people can’t let go of such situations where they feel sad. The only way to overcome all problems is by letting go. Unhappy people hold grudges against others while making different scenarios in their head which lead to their tormenting. To get rid of grudges, you have to stop thinking and stay positive. Forgive others and go on your way.
8. Ignoring real problems: Unhappy people love to ignore real problems. When a big problem comes in front of them, they tend to ignore it. They like to think that the problem doesn’t exist and that way, they feel less burdened. But they have no clue that this problem can have solutions. While ignoring the real problems, they create different smaller problems that lead them to doom. So how to stop ignoring the real ones? We all make mistakes and it’s natural. Don’t overlook your mistakes, have the courage to accept it and reverse it. Face your problems, try to find the solution that can cure it from the root and you become free. This way, you will become more empowered and strong to face anything in life.
9. Overreacting: Every action has a reaction but when it comes to unhappy people, they tend to overreact in almost every problem. Every smaller negative thing can impact their lives in a bigger way. They pay attention to minor problems more and make it big. When you face something like this, ask yourself if it is worth your time? If it has anything to do with your happiness in the long run?
In most cases, you will find the answer is no. so, stop overreacting and start acting. Take a few deep breaths and let go.
10. Overcomplicating life: The biggest mistake of all time. Unhappy people complicate things unknowingly. They start judging every negative aspects in their life and entangle their life. Life is not very complicated unless you make it. Unhappy people become complicated enough to bring the negative in every situation. How to solve it? Assess the situation instead of judging. Find out your faults and correct those. You are solely responsible for your life and you have to take the responsibility instead of blaming others. Try to nurture your relationships that give you peace. Get rid of unnecessary stress and make a life that suits you the best. Make use of your time in productive ways.
So, what is the easiest? Being unhappy or happy? Being unhappy takes a lot of things but to be happy you just need to keep an open mind. Unhappy people suffer for their own habits, they fall in the traps that they make. It doesn’t even cost a single penny to be happy but to be unhappy, it costs a lot of your time, energy and a big portion of your life. It’s time to make the difference. Be happy, be positive.