When you depend on others for your happiness, that doesn’t actually help you rather it makes you suffer. So it is better to overcome emotional dependency. Dependency is like a drug that you become addicted which is not good for you. This type of situation is bad for both men and women, but generally, women suffer more. Emotional dependency creates lack of self-esteem. So, it is important to take these steps into account if you want to escape from this dangerous situation.
- Know that There is a Problem: One of the most complicated things to do when you are dependent emotionally is to make a deep reflection about what is happening. It is easier to look the other way or blame other people than look inside and recognize that there is a problem. Honestly acknowledging problems is the first step to overcome emotional dependency.
- Learn to Say “NO”: It’s for your well-being. When you are assertive that means you respect the other party and you respect yourself. Saying to learn no is essential to h=gain emotional autonomy.
- Establish Relationships with the Right People: Avoid relationship with toxic people by any means. Surround yourself with people who will even help you to gain self-esteem. Look at people who respect and value you. Bringing positive people in life will help you overcome emotional dependency.
- Do not be Afraid of Uncertainty: Many times, the fear of being alone makes us return to that toxic relationship that causes us so much pain and suffering. Most of us think that the being alone in the future is an uncertain thing. And it is then when we prefer to stay there, in the place we already know. Therefore, it is necessary to leave the comfort zone and adopt a positive attitude towards change.
- Strengthen Your Self Esteem: The main factor of any emotional dependence is a low self-esteem. There are many options to be able to strengthen it, from going to a professional psychology to doing bibliotherapy. The fact is that you have to strengthen your self-esteem to forget emotional dependency. There is something new and instructive out there. Avoid seeking approval and be aware of your negative thoughts.
- Avoid Expectations of Other People: In most cases, emotionally dependent people have unrealistic and overly intense expectations about what to expect from others. This tends to provoke an idealization towards the other party, and it is not a wise decision to fill the void that we can feel with ourselves with the need to have someone at our side at all costs. Expectations can be disastrous. Realizing this can help overcome emotional dependence.
- Travel Alone: Traveling is one of the best ways to make you free form one thought. And if you travel alone, you will a lot of time to think about yourself. When traveling, you only have to solve problems on your own, meet other people, be sociable, without help from partners, family or friends. It definitely helps you to be independent.
So you need to clearly know the key signs of emotional dependency and then take steps to get rid of it. Build your own world of self-respect and self-dependence.